The right colours and lines will flatter you for sure, but a well-chosen accessory or two can truly take your outfit to the next level. But there’s no need to tip your entire jewellery box over your head and hope for the best. Sometimes just adding one accessory is enough to lift your outfit and add that personal touch.
To make sure your jewellery complements – not competes with – your outfit, take a few key things into consideration.
Think About…Your Colouring – and complement it
Look carefully at your skin tone:
- Pinkish tones are best in silver, and as its bang on trend there’s some gorgeous silver jewellery around right now
- Yellowy tones are best in gold or rose gold. You can also wear the latest in bronze pieces, such as this
If you’re neither of the above then the great news is that you can wear both gold and silver, even at the same time (gasp!)
If don’t know your skin tone then compare your skin tone with your best friend, sister or even your hubby – it will help you see whether there’s a pink or yellow tinge to it!
Think About… Your Face Shape – and adapt it (if you need to!)
- Rectangular or square faces should wear hooped or roundearrings to create width and soften the sides of your face. Choose necklaces that hang down to soften a straighter jaw
- To slim a round face wear angled, straight dangly earrings and necklaces
- Wide cheekbones and a narrow chin can wear fun, dangly earrings and chokers
- If you have a wide chin then keep earrings subtle and close to the face (e.g. studs) and wear long necklaces to draw attention away from the jawline
Think about…Your Scale – and balance it
- If you are Petite (5’4 and under)go for finer or smaller jewellery. If you want to be more on trend then layering a few fine necklaces together will work just as well!
- If you are over 5’7 then bigger statement pieces are ideal for If this worries you then consider upping the impact of one key piece – such as your necklace – to something like this
Think About…Your Style Personality – and show it!
What is “Style Personality”? In a nut shell, it’s the bit inside of you, that makes you, you, and stops us looking like clones of each other 🙂 The beauty of using a style consultation service like mine is that I will help you discover your style personality and the image you want to present to the world.
But this doesn’t always mean following styling advice to the letter! Let’s use me as an example: I’m an experienced personal stylist but even I know when to bend the rules sometimes. Being petite I should wear small to medium sized jewellery, but I’m a bit of a magpie and I love a statement necklace! So I try to wear just one key piece with every outfit so that my jewellery doesn’t drown me and make me look unbalanced.
- If you’re a Natural Style personality then you probably don’t wear jewellery. So, here’s a thought for you: Just put on one more accessory before you leave the house. It needn’t be “bling” but it can make a huge difference to your overall look.
- Dramatic Style personalities love to sparkle! So use jewellery to make a statement (*cough* just make sure it’s the right statement 😉 )
- Others will like more girly pieces, so the great news for you is that pearls are back in style. Look at this modern take on pearls
The right piece of jewellery has the power to make your feel unique. But, whether it’s a personal style thing or just for fun, it’s important just to enjoy your jewellery – choosing, buying and wearing. After all, who are we to argue with Oscar De La Renta? If you want to know more about your Style Personality, how you can make jewellery work better for you, or to book a style consultation, then drop me a line.